Tuesday 20 April 2010

Life Under a Cloud...

Well, today was beautiful and cool and sunny, with a refreshing southwestern breeze. If you look up, you can see, hmm - blue sky. The last few days there was a little brown around the edges, and yesterday a bit of haze, but for all the volcanic gloom and doom, I want it to look a bit more Mordor-like. We are, supposedly, supposed to fly to NYC tomorrow, though, at this point, I don't really want to. The last thing I want to do is to walk voluntarily into the chaos that will be Heathrow Airport, if, indeed, it does open tomorrow. I mean, my God - they are getting the navy involved in getting people home, and here we are thinking about voluntarily leaving the country - we should be locked up! I keep hoping the airline will cancel. I feel guilty trying to convince David to cancel, as it's his relatives, but I just have this gut feeling - NO NO NO NO!

I don't like this.

Hmm - they just announced they are reopening the airports. I hate to think what Heathrow is going to be like tomorrow...

Anyway, today David and I walked around Wimbledon - David really wants to buy something here (and I agree - renting really is throwing money down the toilet). Nice place, Wimbledon - a bit pricey, but I think it's somehwere David and I could both like (I've been trying to guide this whole process, b/c otherwise I think David would happily go out and live in Chickenwhistle, Nowhere, whereas I want to remain in the city, though I'm willing to move out a little bit...

Yesterday I biked 72 miles down to the south coast, then took the train back. Great day for it - just a few clouds and not too much wind. I didn't realize when I chose this ride though that it had not one, not two, but three 17% uphill grades on it. Ugh!

This is 'Bed-Zed', in South London - a low-impact, carbon-neutral housing development. I thought it looked kinda groovy.



And here we have a cock on a sign. Oh yeah, it's the town of Dorking...



Another big cock... (Oh please, do you think I'm that juvenile? ;-)



Cute small town at the foot of the South Downs...



Roots on a trail - thought they looked cool.



Oh dear - big grade I hadn't noticed on my route planning...



See, I wasn't kidding about the grade...

3 comments:

Jan Blawat said...

I'm assuming the rooster photos are for Katherine and I, who are big cock fans. Being exhibitors of fine poultry, of course. Thank you.

Katherine Plumer said...

Oh this bring such glee to my chickeny heart, a Dorking! It really is! And I didn't realize Wimbledon was a place, I just thought it was a tennis tournament. That should probably embarrass me.

Katherine Plumer said...

That should say "brings" not "bring". Curse you inability to edit after posting!