Monday 12 October 2009

Shit and Champagne...

You wouldn't think those two would go together... However, Saturday, David, Robin and I went over to Avi's to help him plant palms and tree ferns in his back yard (which he is redoing completely). When all was said and done, he offered us all a glass of champagne (us all being raging and notorious homosexuals). I had my glass of champagne while sitting on top of a bag of horseshit. Very classy.

I am coming up to one week with no caffeine, and I have to say, it's been really difficult. I suppose this is the reason I had to have coffee, tea or soda every day for the past 18 years. I got through the headachey and bitchy phase (bitchier than normal), but I'm still waking up at night and am unable to fall asleep. Weird. Who'd a thunk that caffeine would be so addictive? Well, there goes my desire to have a heroin addiction...

I went for a bike ride yesterday - not very far - only 42 miles, but it was the first bike ride of any length I'd been on since August. The weather was absolutely crap and I got soaked, but I suppose it is October, and one must expect these little trials and tribulations.

Went this morning to a talk given by Google's top laywer about censorship and general freedom of information. Very interesting, but not always for the reasons it should have been. As it was a public talk, it was pretty general - lots of examples of how Google had dealt with censorship requests from various governments. I couldn't, however, get past the thought that 'Wow, this guy has really drunk the Kool-Aid' as far as he painted a picture of Google as this sort of beneficent extra-governmental organisation fighting for free speech everywhere. Of course, he did mention that this was sort of important for the business model, but still, it really made Google sound like the corporation you'd bring home to mom...

Not much else exciting at the moment... My cooked breakfasts are going well (bacon, eggs and beans), and while I miss my daily PBJ, my salad and meat lunch seems to be getting rid of the PBJ around my middle. Who'd a thunk that PBJ would cause so much midline damage?

Anyway, time to change and head out towards the gym. It's already getting dark - blah.

No comments: