Wednesday 17 December 2008

Light bright, light bright...

Well, I got my gro-lite today and have it set up behind my computer screens so that I can look into the (very bright!) bulb for 2 or so hours per day. The thing is huge--the width of an entire large computer screen, and has been, not surprisingly, the source of some merriment in the office. We shall see, I suppose, if it sparkles up my mood in dark months. If nothing else, it makes it so I get to see cool designs (it's supposed to be positioned so that I get direct light in my eyes). The light consists of this wacky flourescent bulb - 4 in 1, that gives off what seems like a very sun-like spectrum. I'm thinking perhaps I should grow pot at my desk now or something. I'm sure no one would suspect anything ('It's a Japanese maple - really!') and I could use it to supplement my meager public sector income. They encourage this sort of thing in government, I think (or maybe I've just looked into the light for too long?). Hmm.

Seen on may in this morning... A break in the water main, with a jet of water shooting up twenty or so feet, and a couple of guys on a scaffold next door, not paying any attention. In fact, it didn't really seem like anyone was paying any special attention. Reminds me of a time when I was at a restaurant in New York. At one point, part of the (false) ceiling collapsed, as water from the apartment above had pooled. There was a minor amount of kerfuffle and general worry, but then, when people figured out that the building wasn't going to fall down, they continued with their meals, with that particular portion of the restaurant cordoned off. Ya gotta love New Yorkers...

Oh, I printed out a map of the National Cycle Network, and have been drooling over it for much of the afternoon--thinking of all the 3 or 4 day long rides I could do next summer. It still looks like it's going to be just me doing these rides. I'd really like to do a Germany/Switzerland ride as well, but I'm a little weenie about cycling for several days on my own in a non-English speaking country. I could, however, quit being a weenie and just do it. It's not like I'm talking about Cambodia or something... Hmm.

No comments: